New Treatment For Submental Fullness, Or Double Chin.
Kybella™ (deoxycholic acid) is indicated for improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe convexity or fullness associated with submental fat in adults.
What is submental fullness?
- Submental fullness, due to submental fat, sometimes referred to as “double chin,” is a common, yet undertreated facial aesthetic condition. It can detract from an otherwise balanced and harmonious facial appearance – leading to an older, heavier look.
- Submental fullness can impact a broad range of adults and is not limited to people who are overweight. This condition can impact men or women of average weight and can be caused by aging, genetics and weight gain.
- According to a 2014 survey by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), over two thirds of consumers are bothered by submental fullness.
What is KYBELLA™ (Deoxycholic Acid) Injection?
- KYBELLA™ (deoxycholic acid) is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness due to submental fat.
- KYBELLA™ is used to improve the appearance of moderate to severe submental fat in adults. The safe and effective use of KYBELLA™ for the treatment of subcutaneous fat outside the submental region has not been established and is not recommended.
How does KYBELLA™ work?
- KYBELLA™ is a non-human and non-animal formulation of deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat.
- When injected into the subcutaneous fat, KYBELLA™ causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat. After aesthetic response is achieved, retreatment with KYBELLA™ is not expected. Due to its cytolytic activity, KYBELLA™ should not be injected into or in close proximity to vulnerable anatomic structures.
How is KYBELLA™ administered?
- KYBELLA™ is injected into the fat under the chin.
- Each in-office treatment session is typically 15-20 minutes.
- Most patients require anywhere from 2-4 treatments, up to 6 treatments spaced 6 weeks apart.
What are the side effects with KYBELLA™?
- The safety profile of KYBELLA™ is well characterized. Common side effects may include swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness and formation of small areas of firmness in the treatment area.
- KYBELLA™ injections can also cause tingling, nodules, itching, skin tightness, and headache. These side effects typically resolve on their own.
1. Do not schedule KYBELLA injections if you have an important event within the next 2 weeks.
2. Take 600mg of ibuprofen about 1 hour before your appointment.
3. Tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
• Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin
• Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
• Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area
• Have had or have trouble swallowing
• Have bleeding problems
• Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if KYBELLA will harm your unborn baby.
• Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if KYBELLA passes into your breast milk.
4. Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including:
• Prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take a medicine that prevents the clotting of blood (antiplatelet or anticoagulant medicine).
1. After the treatment, gently hold ice packs on the areas that are treated with KYBELLA for 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day.
2. Treated areas may be red, inflamed, tender, and bruised for the first 1-2 weeks.
3. Swelling, numbness, and areas of hardness in the treated areas can last up to several weeks.
4. Resume all normal activities including exercise as long as it is comfortable for you.
5. Take ibuprofen if needed for discomfort after the treatment.
6. If bruising occurs, apply topical Arnica gel, drink fresh pinapple juice, and/or take Arnica supplements to help bruising resolve faster.
Remember to schedule your next appointment in 6-8 weeks. KYBELLA requires 2-6 sessions for optimal treatment.